Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

This one comes from my mom. :) It's one of those party foods you only have once a year or so, but it's soooo good you wish you had it every week! :) I was eating an oreo tonight (just the chocolate part-I hate the cream filling. I know, I know... shoot me.) And the chocolate cookie part reminded me so much of eating this cheeseball because that's what you use to eat it, chocolate graham crackers. So, I decided to go to the store and get the stuff I needed to make it. It's super easy-the only hard part is waiting for it to 'harden' in the fridge. But it's well worth the wait. Another thing--if you can find them, the chocolate graham cracker sticks are the perfect things to eat this with. They're harder to find these days, though, so I just got plain old chocolate graham crackers. You eat this like you would a normal cheeseball with crackers, this is just a dessert one. Oh, and one last important thing: USE. REAL. BUTTER!! It won't set up right if you don't. Believe me, the first time I made this I was in the dorms and they sold "butter" at the little grocery store on campus. Since I could use my meal plan to get it and not spend any of my own money, of course that's what I did. Didn't work. Still tasted good, but definitely didn't ball up like it should have. Sorry for no pictures again. I'm bad at remembering to take them and I don't have all the pretty plates or the best lighting to take them in, especially since I usually bake late at night! Just imagine a ball of cheesecake, with mini-chocolate chips in it, covered in nuts. :) YUMMY! Let me know if you try it!

Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

Ingredients:

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter (no substitutes), softened
¼ tsp. vanilla
¾ cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
¾ cup finely chopped pecans
1 box chocolate graham cracker sticks

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add sugars; beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Place mixture on a large piece of plastic wrap and shape into a ball. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, roll cheese ball in pecans. Serve with graham crackers.

No comments: